Would You Like Some Pie?

YES!!!

I don’t know if it is because of my love for Zooey Deschanel’s quirkiness (I was aware of and loved the Deschanel sisters before 500 Days of Summer showed), but I felt really really good after watching Yes Man.

I have always been a fan of Jim Carey, but his movies haven’t been the biggest commercial or critical successes after the 90’s. I was not tempted to watch Yes Man in the theatre, and only did so after I got a copy from my friend (after a failed attempt to view Man on the Moon).

I had expected a regular slapstick comedy a la JC, but I think Zooey Deschanel made up for it. She is adorable as always, playing the quirky free-spirited girl with witty conversations and an open mind and heart. She has a husky voice (which I love) and piercing blue eyes peeking out behind the dark hair. She is the girl that all guys love and all girls adore. Somehow I’ve got a hunch that is her in real life too.

Anyhow, this isn’t a movie review. This movie made me feel… light, made my heart flutter. It definitely is a feel good movie, but so many aspects resonated in me. I admire and pursue traits in Zooey – love for spontaneity, witty banter, comfortable to be around because she doesn’t care about being impressed (at least not in the conventional ways), not trying to impress people around her, and doing things from the heart. The last trait, I must say, is something I have to sort out. I do put my heart into doing many things, meanwhile my rationality can interfere. That is why I am not fully a free-spirited person.

Watching this movie opened me up again. It’s not like I haven’t been open to new experiences, but I didn’t open myself up. I worry too much and keep holding myself back because I am not sure of taking chances. This movie, coincided with events the last two days, lifted me a bit.

1. On Friday, I decided that I will give myself a rest and not feel guilty about being unproductive. In the end, I applied to a few jobs.

2. I got a reply from a job I applied for out of fun – I completely customized the resume and cover letter. It’s a trainee position, and I thought what the heck, might as well try, and I’m interviewing on Monday!

3. I attended a funeral service. It didn’t hit too close to me… after the lunch, I felt a lot better being able to chat and laugh in the context. It felt like a release from being appropriately miserable. It felt like things were going to be better.

All of these were positive encouragements to life being hopeful. I just have to do it and not think too much. Things are alright. I will get over the hump. Life is alright.


PS. Zooey Deschanel and Katy Perry definitely can pass for sisters, couldn't they?

Even found a pic of them together:

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW... they definitely look related. X) how amazing is that?! and somewhere in there I can almost see Alexis Bledel... maybe it's just the wide eyed look. I can't wait for 500 days of summer!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a name, so you'll be easier to identify - just like the voices in my head.